Friday, January 02, 2009

How hard can it be to install SQL Management Studio?

The answer seems to be quite hard....

http://aspadvice.com/blogs/ssmith/archive/2007/09/24/Installing-SQL-2005-Management-Studio.aspx

Even when I followed the advice in this blog and installed the tools separately, then I still was getting any joy in installing the SQL Server Management Studio - basically it kept telling me the "Workstation Components" were already installed.

Eventually I tried:
  • Using the Control Panel add/remove programs tool to remove the shared Workstation Components (being careful to avoid removing SQL Server at the same time!)
  • Then reinstalling using the tools msi package
It worked - but it took way too long to find this uninstall route - I'd rather be coding :)

No comments:

Post a Comment